Time & Location
May 12, 2023, 7:00 PM – May 13, 2023, 5:00 PM
Leavenworth, 228 Chumstick Hwy, Leavenworth, WA 98826, USA
About The Event
You're invited to the Cascadia Prescribed Burn Association (PBA) Learn and Burn. This is a free event starting on May 12th from 5-7pm at the District 3 Firehall in Leavenworth and continuing on Saturday the 13th from 9am-4:30pm at a private property up Bjork Canyon. Free BBQ at the conclusion. The address will be given to participants Friday evening or via separate email.
We have received permitting for the burn through the WA Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and we are finalizing the curriculum with an amazing crew of firelighters to help educate, answer questions and facilitate the event.
Please use the link below to RSVP this is required to attend. (Note, both days are encouraged but not mandatory).
Sami Schinell- Cooperative Fire Director w/The Nature Conservancy
Rob Lionberger- Prescribed Fire Specialist w/ The Nature Conservancy
Kyle Lapham- Certified Burner Program Manager w/ The Washington DNR
Dale Swedberg- Retired Land Manager, Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW)
Joe Hill- Cascadia Conservation District
Pat Haggerty- Cascadia Conservation District
Kara Karbowski- Washington Resource Conservation and Development Council (RC&D)
Devin Dykes, Sean Frank, and Colin Sternagel- Cascadia PBA
Pre work To be completed before the start on May 12 (about 2 hours of videos) The pre-work and its additional resources are available and recommended to anyone participating or not. It is a living document and will be updated as new information comes in.
May 12th - District 3 Firehall 5-7pm
· Indigenous Burning Recognition and Acknowledgment
· What is a PBA and Cascadia PBA
· DNR Prescribed Fire and Certified Burn Program
· Resources for Landowners
· Introductions to the WA RC&D and the Washington Prescribed (Rx) Fire Council
· How to Burn on Private Land, Liability?
· Rx fire structure: Burn plan, Holding vs Firing, medical, contingency plan.
May 13th - All Day 9am
· Burn plan and objectives for the day
· PPE (if it's bolded, it's needed to fully participate) hardhat, boots, socks, non-synthetic clothes; pencil/pen, Nomex, food/snacks/water, leather gloves, eye protection, earplugs, flagging.
· Fire Ecology
· Fire Lines Anatomy and Line Production
Lunch (on your own) 12ish
· Fuel Characteristics and Types
· Firing Patterns & Techniques
· Suppression Techniques
· Mop Up
· BBQ Free! 4:30-5:00
The event has a live fire component and is permitted to burn a unit about an acre in size. If prescription is not met the contingency plans will be to continue with the curriculum for the day and possibly do additional prep and planning on the property for a future larger underburn.
Don't forget to Sign Up!
Please share this email with anyone else that you think may be interested. Don't hesitate to reach out and contact me if you have any additional questions.